Product Engineer I
Company: Smith & Wesson Brands, Inc
Posted on: September 20, 2022
Perform Engineering tasks either as the administrator of a small
project requiring standardized course of action, or as the
administrator of an assigned segment of a larger project. Projects
consist of solving production design problems and developing new
models and meeting project deadlines as outlined by the Project
Management Team. Requires strict compliance with all Company
policies as defined by the Executive Management Team, as well as
adherence to the Company's Quality manual and ISO Policy, and
conducting business with ethical business practices at all
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Create solid works solid models, assembly models, and detail
- Perform finite element analyses and mechanism simulation,
kinematic simulation, linear stress analysis, and transient thermal
- Be able to problem solve in a disciplined, organized manner,
and document findings.
- Understand the needs of the team and be able to work in a
manner that facilitates teamwork.
- Work to define product requirements and improvements.
- Design novel mechanisms to suit requirements for new product
- Perform design layouts to validate design before creation of
- Work with machine shop to create prototypes of new
- Lead testing exercises to validate new product designs and
- Work with support staff to complete project activities
(draftsman and technicians).
- Work within Product team to update business activity
- Provide a flexible resource to aid in the process engineering
portion of product development.
NOTE: This list presents only the principal duties of the position
and is not intended to be comprehensive. The duties and
responsibilities listed above may be changed or supplemented at any
time in accordance with business needs and conditions.
Experience, Competencies and Education
Education and Experience:
- Minimum requirement: Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical
Engineering or equivalent, Master's degree preferred
- 4-10 years' experience in a Product Development role with a
demonstrated track record for:
- Establishing product design with an eye toward manufacturing
processes to assure quality and cost objectives are consistently
- Assure that schedules meet both internal and external
requirements and that work is performed to established
- Making engineering prototypes samples for testing.
- Experience in the Firearms industry preferred
Competencies and Skills:
- Good command of the English language demonstrating excellent
verbal and written communication skills
- Strong communication, presentation organizational
- Microsoft Office proficiency (Excel, Word, Outlook)
- Experience with SolidWorks CAD software, or other major Solid
- Exceptional customer service skills
- Demonstrated ability to work independently
- Extensive experience and use of theoretical concepts to perform
analysis and design.
- Ability to train, advise and assist less experienced
- Ability to travel to support development.
- Continuous: standing, walking, lifting, bending,
pushing/pulling, and reaching.
- Occasional: kneeling, sitting, squatting, overhead work, fine
and gross upper body motor movement.
- Maximum lift: to 30 pounds and assisted lifting.
- Occasional lifting: 0 to 30 pounds.
NOTE: Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals
with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work Environment and Personal Protective Equipment:
Within the Smith Wesson manufacturing facility, employees may be
exposed to manufacturing noise, airborne liquid chemicals, fine
particulate dust, ambient temperatures, and industrial lighting.
Work environment is similar to most manufacturing operations. May
be exposed to excessive noise, temperatures, hazards associated
with working around moving machinery, work in confined quarters,
exposure to vibrations and shop lighting, continuous exposure to
hot temperatures, may be humid, odors, dust, continuous exposure to
mechanical hazards, and occasional exposure to chemical
The following Personal Protective Equipment is required:
- Safety glasses with side shields and hearing protection
required when on manufacturing floor
The use of additional personal protective equipment (PPE) may be
required when a job task(s) is being completed in or around your
assigned department or in another department, this includes safety
eyewear, hearing protection, and safety footwear.
Keywords: Smith & Wesson Brands, Inc, Springfield , Product Engineer I, Engineering , Springfield, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!