Manager, Ontology and Data Modeling
Company: Capital One
Posted on: March 20, 2023
Center 3 (19075), United States of America, McLean, Virginia
Manager, Ontology and Data Modeling
The role of the Manager of Ontology and Data Modeling is to
develop, implement, and maintain enterprise ontologies in support
of Capital One's Data Strategy.
The Manager of Ontology and Data Modeling, as part of Enterprise
Products and Platforms, will be responsible for working
collaboratively across Capital One Lines of Business and Functions
to develop domain ontologies in support of enterprise initiatives.
The Manager of Ontology and Data Modeling will be responsible for
partnering with Technology, Machine Learning, and other Capital One
teams to support the development and integration of semantic
technology into Capital One products and services.
The Manager of Ontology and Data Modeling should be capable of
supporting an emerging and evolving semantic program at Capital
One, capable of clearly communicating and advocating the value of
using semantic technology and knowledge organization concepts.
- Define clear and actionable problem statements to help teams
deliver results while displaying a comprehensive understanding of
ontologies and optimized data models
- Leverage customer insights to influence priorities and roadmap
development while advocating for and driving alignment between
stakeholders in the development of acceptance criteria
- Own and prioritize the near-term Ontology and Data Modeling
roadmap to deliver on business outcomes, quickly identifying points
of leverage in complex problems or systems, and utilizing data
effectively to define success metrics and measurable outcomes
- Utilize balanced judgment in decisions about risks of both
actions taken and not taken while innovating on ways to iterate
faster in a well-managed way for the immediate team
- Understand and leverage technology and end-state architecture
vision in partnership with Technology, Machine Learning, and other
Capital One teams to support the development and integration of
semantics in Capital One products and services, driving
comprehensive design decisions out of white space technical
- Deliver value by creating reusable, extensible and resilient
capabilities and proactively identify opportunities when key
metrics are not performing
- Develop and communicate a 6-month vision to senior stakeholders
and partner teams with accurate details and transparency on risks
and impediments, and proactively build relationships with those
outside of your immediate team resulting in horizontal
- Contribute to team culture and recruiting by leading activities
to attract and retain top talent and mentoring and developing
junior ontology and data modeling associates
- Manage teams that develop, implement and govern ontologies and
optimized data models in consultation with stakeholder
- Contribute to data integration and mapping efforts to harmonize
data with Capital One's upper and domain ontologies
- Communicate and advocate the value of Capital One's efforts in
ontologies, semantics, and standardization across the
- Maintain awareness of competitor and industry developments
related to ontology use, knowledge organization, data modeling, and
- Understand and adhere to W3C standards related to ontologies,
in particular RDF, RDFS, OWL, SKOS, and SHACL
- Develop standards, guidelines, and direction for ontology, data
modeling, semantics and Data Standardization in general at Capital
- Able to develop and implement ontologies and data models in
consultation with stakeholders in teams dedicated to data
management, search, product management, machine learning, and other
- Able to communicate and advocate the value of using industry
standards, applications, and open source data sets.
- Able to analyze and implement knowledge organization strategies
using tools capable of machine learning and semantic
- Able to maintain awareness of competitor and industry
developments related to ontology use, linked data, semantic
technology, graph databases, knowledge organization, data modeling,
- Able to test/troubleshoot new or updated models and
- Able to create processes and tools to establish, maintain, and
update ontology, taxonomy, and other data models.
- Able to maintain and update data and models according to
industry best practice.
- Able to support knowledge organization workshops in order to
further enhance enterprise ontology, taxonomy, or data models.
- Able to assist in the implementation and support of data
standardization and ontology governance strategies and
- Able to develop a strong understanding of the Capital One
business, processes, customers, users, and business needs to better
solve Data Management problems.
- Able to see and communicate the big picture in an inspiring
way. Determines opportunity and risks through comprehensive
analysis of current and future trends.
- Has very strong research skills.
- Able to communicate and present ideas clearly and with
confidence. Delivers presentations and status updates suited to the
characteristics and needs of the audience.
- Able to foster strong relationships with business partners,
supporting semantic projects across departments. Develops a
supportive and helpful culture for assistance in projects and daily
- Continually focused on improving the responsiveness and quality
of the solutions delivered.
- Exhibits high energy, passion, self-motivation, and creativity
for problem solving.
- Bachelor's degree in information science, computer science,
engineering, library science, ontology, semantics or computational
- At least 4 years' experience in a metadata field of work
(ontology, taxonomy, semantics or computational linguistics)
- At least 4 years' experience or training in using W3C standards
including linked and canonical data and ontologies ( JSON, XML,
RDF, RDFS, OWL, and SKOS)
- At least 4 years' experience or training in ontology and linked
data tools (Prot--g--, TopQuadrant, PoolParty, Stardog, AnzoGraph,
Neptune, or Data.World)
- At least 4 years' experience or training with SQL or SPARQL
- Master's degree or PhD in information science, computer
science, engineering, library science, ontology, semantics or
- Understanding of the development of ontologies and the use of
controlled vocabularies and thesauri in enhancing the discovery of
management of enterprise data
- Familiarity with graph databases and technologies
- Familiarity with Python or R
- Familiarity with JSON, OpenAPI/YAML, AVRO
- Familiarity with Agile principles, processes, and
- Familiarity with Amazon Web Services
- Detail-oriented and an ability to problem-solve
- Strong reading and writing skills
- Strong project management experience
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to present ideas
clearly and with confidence.
- Ability to work individually and with a team to meet deadlines
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for
employment authorization for this position.
The minimum and maximum full-time annual salaries for this role are
listed below, by location. Please note that this salary information
is solely for candidates hired to perform work within one of these
locations, and refers to the amount Capital One is willing to pay
at the time of this posting. Salaries for part-time roles will be
prorated based upon the agreed upon number of hours to be regularly
Location is New York City: $160,200 - $182,800 for Manager,
Ontology and Data Modeling
Location is San Francisco, California: $169,700 - $193,700 for
Manager, Ontology and Data Modeling
Candidates hired to work in other locations will be subject to the
pay range associated with that location, and the actual annualized
salary amount offered to any candidate at the time of hire will be
reflected solely in the candidate's offer letter.
This role is also eligible to earn performance based incentive
compensation, which may include cash bonus(es) and/or long term
incentives (LTI). Incentives could be discretionary or non
discretionary depending on the plan.
Capital One offers a comprehensive, competitive, and inclusive set
of health, financial and other benefits that support your total
well-being. Learn more at the Capital One Careers website .
Eligibility varies based on full or part-time status, exempt or
non-exempt status, and management level.
No agencies please. Capital One is an Equal Opportunity Employer
committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All
qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion,
physical and mental disability, genetic information, marital
status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment,
citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or
any other status prohibited by applicable national, federal, state
or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital
One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a
criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of
applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries . click
apply for full job details
Keywords: Capital One, Springfield , Manager, Ontology and Data Modeling, Executive , Springfield, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...