Chief Information Officer
Company: Springfield Public Schools
Posted on: November 20, 2023
Springfield Public Schools MA - Chief Information Officer
Username Password Home - SPS Home - Internal - Help
- Job Listings
- FAQ Apply Now Applications will be accepted
Tuesday, October 24, 2023 12:00 AM --
Tuesday, November 14, 2023 11:59 PM
(Eastern Standard Time)
- Print Job Posting
- Download Job Posting
Tell a Friend Do you know someone who should apply for this job?
Send this job posting to him or her! We'll send an email and
include the job details and a link to this posting.Recipient's
NameRecipient's EmailYour NameYour Email
Send me a copy Chief Information Officer Job Description
DEPARTMENT: Office of Information, Technology and Accountability
(OITA)REPORTS TO: SuperintendentBRIEF JOB DESCRIPTION: The Chief
Information Officer (CIO) is a full-time, exempt, confidential,
Cabinet-level position responsible for leading the district's
information systems, technology, strategic data analysis,
assessment, and digital learning efforts while providing vision,
oversight, and leadership for the Office of Information,
Technology, and Accountability (OITA). Leadership of the Office of
Information, Technology, and Accountability includes responsibility
for formative, benchmark, summative, and predictive assessment
systems; research services; accountability systems; student
information systems; data warehousing and reporting; enterprise
applications and development; intranet site design and maintenance;
computer science instruction (K-12); use of digital tools for
teaching and learning; project and process management; and all
technology infrastructure, hardware, and software procurement,
implementation, and support. The CIO reports directly to the
Superintendent and is a member of district's Cabinet and
Instructional Leadership Teams.PRIMARY FUNCTIONS OF THE JOB:
-Leadership and Management
- Manage technology operations and procurement; infrastructure
and computer hardware implementation and support; district project
and process management; operational and instructional software
procurement, implementation, and support; student information
systems; data warehousing and analytics; intranet site design and
maintenance; computer science instruction; digital learning;
internal accountability systems; and, formative and summative
- Oversee the development and management of the OITA budget.
- Identify emerging information technologies to be assimilated,
integrated, and introduced within the District.
- Collaborate with the Chief Schools Officers in planning and
executing extended learning programming.
- Collaborate with the Academic Department in the implementation
and monitoring of district curricula and instructional
- Provide regular reports to the School Committee and
sub-committees on matters related to strategic planning,
technology, data, and assessment.
- Manage the budget, procurement, and distribution process for an
annual computer replacement cycle that has all staff and student
computers (30,000 in total) replaced every four years and provides
every 2 nd to 12 th grader with a take home laptop.
- Participate in other District planning meetings and activities
as requested by the Superintendent.Assessment
- Work collaboratively with Senior Leadership, Central Office,
and School Leaders to implement rigorous, relevant, and efficient
- Work to continually evaluate and improve SPS assessment
- Provide a regular schedule of test administration and test
- Partner with external assessment partners to deliver aligned
and rigorous formative assessments and to establish consistent and
effective data cycles in schools.
- Manage the effective implementation of MCAS, ACCESS, and other
mandatory state assessments by supporting schools with the
training, technical assistance, and support needed.
- Ensure that the MCAS assessment appeals process is consistently
followed, and that all appeals are processed fairly and on
- Ensure that any allegations of testing inconsistencies or
anomalies are handled in accordance with district and state
- Ensure that a clear and fair research request process is
followed, prioritizing approval of those research projects that
result in the least disruption to our educational mission and the
greatest value in terms of new information and knowledge for the
- Develop and supervise the execution of internal research
projects and program evaluation as needed to answer critical
questions in support of district decision-making.Strategic Data
- Provide near real-time data reporting to district and school
leadership teams in support of data-driven decision-making.
- Build systems and tools that increasingly allow district staff
at all levels to access on their own the data they need to most
effectively perform their duties and make good decisions.
- Provide on-demand data analysis and coaching support to each
zone and to individual schools.
- Develop district capacity in and utilize predictive analytics
to identify and respond to student and/or staff needs.
- Provide data to internal and external stakeholders as requested
and in support of district priorities.Accountability
- Design, implement, and continually enhance accountability
systems to improve the effectiveness of instruction and efficiency
of operations, including such systems as the district's data
warehouse, dashboard indicators, and scorecards.
- Work collaboratively with the Superintendent, members of the
staff and principals to create performance growth targets for
district schools, departments, and staff to assist in assessing
progress toward desired outcomes.Educator Evaluation
- Develop and implement the information systems necessary to
support the Springfield Effective Educator Development System
(SEEDS), including classroom observations, evidence gathering, and
- Develop and implement tools for administering surveys to
students to collect and distribute data on educator performance
from the student perspective.Information Systems and Data
- Work to ensure the quality and integrity of Springfield Public
Schools' data by developing and managing the district's data
- Work to ensure the security of SPS data, proprietary
information, and related intellectual property through information
security policies, procedures, and access management.
- Ensure that all district information systems work reliably,
efficiently, and in conjunction with each other.
- Develop a robust data warehousing solution that provides
self-service access to near real-time data for all staff in the
- Implement the Systems Development Life Cycle (SDLC) to ensure
proper procedures for adoption, implementation, and retirement of
- Support all SPS departments in their information systems needs
by process mapping problems, identifying possible solutions,
evaluating solutions, selecting the optimal solution, and then
implementing, documenting, and training end users on the
- Evaluate, procure, develop, implement, and support all software
need for operational and instructional purposes in the
district.Technology Operations and Infrastructure
- Ensure compliance with CIPA and all other rules, regulations,
and laws that apply to district operations and infrastructure.
- Work with district operations and infrastructure staff to
ensure that district computer and network systems function
effectively, reliably, and consistently. Coordinate regular updates
and upgrades to data center equipment to increase capacity and keep
pace with end user needs.
- Work to ensure efficiency and effectiveness in the data center
and the district's help desk.
- Work cooperatively with appropriate district staff to ensure
timely and accurate filing of eRate and other grant applications
and discount programs.
- Provide professional development and training for SPS staff to
ensure effective use of existing and new technology systems.
- Manage the district's IP-based phone systems.
- Develop tools and systems to make supporting the fleet of
devices more efficient so that a larger volume of devices can be
supported without a proportionate increase in staffing.
- Develop tools, systems, and procedures that best support
schools to use technology in the classroom with minimal
interruptions and distractions from the technology.
- Prioritize the security of the district's network and data and
identify and implement strategies to improve security.Web Presence
- Ensure that the District's Intranet presence is professional,
useful, appropriate, and updated regularly.
- Develop procedures to ensure that Intranet content is
appropriately vetted and to distinguish internet from intranet
- Actively participate as a member of the district's Cabinet, the
Instructional Leadership Team, the CSO team, summer school planning
team, night school planning team, and other teams as designated by
the Superintendent.EDUCATIONAL & JOB EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor's Degree from accredited institution in Information
Technology, Education, Administration or other related field
- Minimum 5 years successful technology and statistical analysis
- Minimum 5 years successful management/supervisory experience
- Knowledge of principles and techniques of administration,
organizational leadership, and management including an in-depth
understanding of the key opportunities, challenges, and issues that
exist in the public education.
- Knowledge of project management concepts and strategies, and
demonstrated ability to simultaneously manage several
- Knowledge of risk analysis and mitigation strategies.
- Knowledge of process management documentation and continuous
improvement techniques and strategies.
- Knowledge of change management strategies.
- Demonstrated successful experience in budgeting, strategic
planning, and execution.
- Demonstrated professional written and verbal communication
- Excellent interpersonal skills in dealing with people across
all levels of the organization.
- Ability to motivate teams to produce quality results within
tight timeframes.Reach out to Valerie Williams, the Senior
Administrator of Talent and Diversity Development at
-email@example.com . She will be happy to
answer any questions that you have. Nondiscrimination StatementThe
Springfield Public Schools does not discriminate in employment on
the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, gender
identity, sexual orientation, genetic information, ancestry, age,
disability or military service or marital status. The Springfield
Public Schools does not discriminate in admission to, access or
treatment in its programs and activities on the basis of race,
color, sex, gender identity, religion, national origin, or sexual
orientation, disability or homelessness. Title IX Notice of
NondiscriminationSpringfield Public Schools does not discriminate
on the basis of sex in admission, administration of its educational
programs or activities or employment. Springfield Public Schools is
required by Title IX and its implementing regulations at 34 C.F.R.
Part 106 not to discrimination on the basis of sex in admission,
administration of its educational programs or activities or
employment. The Senior Administrator of Human Resources, Kathleen
O'Sullivan, Springfield Public Schools, 1550 Main St. Springfield
MA, 01103, 413-787-7100, ext. 55428, has been designated as the
employee responsible for coordinating Springfield Public Schools
efforts to comply with and carry out its responsibilities under
Title IX. Inquiries concerning the application of Title IX and its
implementing regulations at 34 C.F.R. Part 106 to Springfield
Public Schools may be referred to Kathleen O'Sullivan or to U.S.
Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights, 400 Maryland
Ave., SW Washington, DC 20202-1100, telephone 800-421-3481. Primary
Location Central Office - Human Resources Salary Range Per Year
Shift Type FT - Full Year Job Contact Information Name Valerie
Williams Title Senior administrator of Talent and Diversity
Development Phone 413-787-7100 Email
firstname.lastname@example.org Help Powered by TalentEd
Copyright - - -2005-2023 - -PowerSchool Group LLC and/or its
Springfield Public Schools
1550 Main Street
Springfield MA 01103
(413) 787-7100 ext. 55390
Keywords: Springfield Public Schools, Springfield , Chief Information Officer, Executive , Springfield, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!