VP, Clinical Informatics
Company: Beaumont Health
Posted on: February 23, 2021
Our apply process has changed. Now mobile friendly. Please click
here for instructions. The VP of Clinical Informatics is
responsible for strategic and operational leadership in the
development, deployment, re-engineering, optimization and
integration of clinical information systems to support clinicians
and patient and family-centered care. Working with clinicians,
physicians, and other clinical and administrative and information
technology team members, the VP, Clinical Informatics provides
direction for the design and implementation of Beaumont Health's
clinical systems and ensures the continueing education, involvement
and support of clinicians and other users. The VP, Clinical
Informatics participates in the development of the IT strategic and
management portfolio. The VP, Clinical Informatics is a key leader
and advocate for Beaumont Health's clinical information system
program and initiatives within the clinical community. The
individual works with physicians and clinicians to realize the full
value of Beaumont Health's technology investments and serves as key
partner to all Beaumont facilities. This includes working with
clinical leadership to develop and deploy evidence based practice
and clinical content. This individual is responsible for educating,
convening, and supporting clinical stakeholder teams, providing
them with relevant information regarding products, applications and
implementation considerations and working with technical personnel
to implement the recommendations by the clinical stakeholder team.
The VP, Clinical Informatics leads clinicians in the design and
execution of technology-enabled process change that maximizes
patient safety, quality of care and operational efficiency. This
individual assist with the identification, evaluation, and
assessment of new care delivery technology, developing
recommendations on the impact of integration with existing
workflows and systems. Given the leadership role entrenched within
this position, the VP, Clinical Informatics will also have the
opportunity to develop ongoing relationships with area Schools of
Nursing and Medicine. As an experienced clinician, the VP, Clinical
Informatics will be uniquely positioned to truly understand the
value that a particular technology can bring to the advancement of
clinical practice and quality of care at BH and to the community at
large. ESSENTIAL DUTIES:
- Provide a leadership role in creating a vision for BH clinical
informatics and technology.
- Aligns informatics goals towards enterprise wide
- Develops empathy and understanding of clinicians needs and
builds relationships with clinicians to ensure support of IT
initiatives. Is highly responsive to users needs, including
training, to ensure wide spread acceptance and clinician use of the
- Serves as a member of key organizational committees and teams
to ensure that clinical informatics resources are integrated into
operations and planning.
- Supports Beaumont clinicians/physicians and BMG on practice
- Leads, supervises and develops the cross continuum EMR
informatics design, implementation, training and support teams.
Works closely with clinical leadership.
- Supports population health, data and analytics, advancing
interoperability, quality initiatives, MIPS and
- Establish relationships with clinicians and advocate use of
clinical information systems to support clinical decision support,
evidence-based practice and patient safety.
- Lead assessment of requirements and implementation of
strategies to meet current needs and future direction for nursing
informatics and data analytics within the organization, across
transitions through the continuum of care.
- Participate in defining and formulating clinical initiatives
and projects that will enable realization of the organization's
vision. Establish clear business cases, value propositions and
measures of success. Develop and implement information technology
solutions in concert with the CNO, CMO and CIO, locally and at a
- Analyze complex clinical operations, organizational structures,
and care processes to facilitate decision-making regarding nursing
- Utilize the knowledge and skills of clinical practice to
determine clinical functions that are suitable for computer
applications and ensure information systems are consistent with
professional standards of nursing practice.
- Identify staff needs related to education and training in the
areas of computer skills and competencies in the use of electronic
tools for patient care.
- Participate in recruiting and retaining an exceptional team of
informaticists from the clinical arena. Develop and mentor team,
fostering leadership and empowerment abilities. Provide a team
environment where individual growth is fostered and career paths
- Provide direction and support to nursing informatics and data
analytics staff in developing their capabilities. Serve as a role
model throughout the organization by continuously demonstrating
value, encouraging innovation, and supporting reasonable
risk-taking, being open to new ideas and keeping up to date in the
- Participate in pre- and post implementation change evaluation,
lead in needed process changes, and support nursing users in
improving and maintaining changed workflow and technological
- Support the development and maintenance of enterprise wide
policy and procedures related to the technology and systems and its
impact to nursing.
- Collaborate with decision support and business intelligence to
develop interventions designed for improvement of patient care
based on clinical evidence.
- Assure development and monitoring of nursing metrics,
dashboards and other types of reporting needs.
- Chair and facilitate informatics related committees.
- Provide presentations (as a representative of BH) at national
and regional conferences. Develop and promote body of research
through publishing and frequent national level lecturing and
- Establish an ongoing relationship with area Schools of Nursing
and Medicine in order to promote growth of students and specialty
as well as to encourage potential recruiting opportunities.
- Regularly scan and report on the body of informatics literature
and best practices.
- Follows national trends in information technology STANDARD
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual
must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The
requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge,
skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be
made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the
essential duties. A. Education / Training:
- RN or MD required
- Graduate of an accredited Baccalaureate Program in nursing or
Medical Degree/Doctor of Osteopathic Program
- Master's degree in Nursing, Management Information
Systems/Business Administration or healthcare related field,
- Formal training and education in Nursing/Clinical Informatics
- If an RN, Doctorate degree required
- ANCC Informatics certification or board certification
preferred. B. Work Experience :
- Minimum of eight (8) to ten (10) years' experience with
implementation, redesign or process work that includes clinical
- Possesses an in-depth, advanced clinical base of knowledge as
normally obtained through an Advanced Clinical Degree and eight (8)
or more years of related clinical experience.
- Previous experience as clinical leader for multiple clinical
projects, large multi-faceted projects and/or nursing
- Direct, hands-on experience leading clinical informatics
projects with tangible, demonstrated results. Excellent operational
knowledge of hospitals and physician organizations and an effective
communicator with clinical and operational leadership.
- Previous experience in managing performance improvement
activities, clinical data management and workflow design
- Demonstrated skill in project management, process redesign,
physician relations and customer satisfaction.
- Demonstrated ability to assess organizational needs, set
priorities, implement projects, and assess outcomes and communicate
- Demonstrated capability for strategic planning related to
clinical informatics. C. Certification, Licensure, Registration :
- Nursing or medical license in the state of MI, required D.
- Possesses excellent interpersonal skills and can work
effectively with a diversity of personalities.
- Must be approachable, show respect for others and be able to
present data with effective communication and presentation
- Is a strong leader with a mature sense of priorities and solid
practical experience who can design and implement systems within
the framework of technical boundaries.
- Is politically savvy, has a high tolerance for ambiguity and
can work successfully in a matrix management model.
- Is a systems thinker with strong organizational skills who can
pull all the pieces together and deliver on time and within
- Is a strong manager who is adaptable and has strong
collaborative management style, a creative thinker with high energy
and enthusiasm, and a team player who promotes the concepts of
people working together versus individual performance.
- Is a contemporary clinician who understands major trends in
healthcare and managed care, and is familiar with point of care
products and medical informatics trends and tools.
Keywords: Beaumont Health, Springfield , VP, Clinical Informatics, Healthcare , Southfield, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!