Registered Nurse - Night Shift
Posted on: March 14, 2023
POSITION SUMMARY: The Registered Nurse of Maternity Services
reports to the Clinical Nurse Manager. Utilizing the nursing
process, provides high quality direct and indirect patient-centered
care. Coordinates patient care by working collaboratively with the
interdisciplinary team, patients and families. Communicates, as
appropriate, the patient's clinical condition, responding quickly
and accurately to changes in condition or response to treatment.
Demonstrates knowledge of the principles of growth and development
over the life span and the skills necessary to provide age
appropriate care to the patient population served. Promotes the
profession of nursing and professional practice through collegial
support and interactions. EDUCATION/CERTIFICATION/EXPERIENCE:
- Graduate of an accredited school of Nursing .
- Current licensure in the state of Connecticut.
- Must have certification in BLS and NRP and S.T.A.B.L.E. upon
hire or receive all certifications within a year after hire date
and maintain clinical competency during employment with ECHN in
this role. COMPETENCIES:
- Able to communicate effectively in English - both verbally and
- Possesses basic computer skills ESSENTIAL DUTIES and
RESPONSIBILITIES: Disclaimer: Job descriptions are not intended,
nor should they be construed to be, exhaustive lists of all
responsibilities, skills, efforts or working conditions associated
with the job. They are intended to be accurate reflections of the
principal duties and responsibilities of this position. These
responsibilities and competencies listed below may change from time
to time. Job-Specific Competency
- Performs population-specific comprehensive assessments and
re-assessments of the maternal and newborn condition and care needs
including the psychosocial, physical, educational, cultural, and
- Assesses and reassesses pain. Utilizes appropriate pain
management tools and techniques. Educates the patient and family
regarding pain management. Documentation reflects assessments,
interventions and evaluation of effectiveness.
- Develops and revises individualized plans of care as indicated
by assessment and patient response to treatment. Evaluates overall
plan daily for effectiveness. Involves the patient and family in
the formulation of goals.
- Follows the five (5) medication rights and reduces the
potential for medication errors. Demonstrates knowledge of
medications and their correct administration based on age of the
patient and their clinical condition.
- Performs all aspects of patient care which includes Labor and
Delivery; Postpartum, Well Newborn, Scrub; Circulator; and Level II
Newborn in an environment that optimizes patient safety and
promotes positive patient outcomes.
- Documents the nursing process and responses to care in a timely
manner utilizing the appropriate tools.
- Demonstrates an ability to be flexible, organized and function
under stressful situations. Utilizes critical thinking skills and
sound judgment in priority setting and delegation.
- Formulates and implements a teaching plan for patients and
families based upon identified learning needs. Evaluates
effectiveness of learning.
- Demonstrates autonomous practice, consistent with
evidence-based standards. Pursues personal and professional growth
and development. Serves as a professional role model and
- Demonstrates knowledge of the principles of growth and
development over the lifespan and the skills necessary to provide
age-appropriate care to patients served. Able to interpret data
about the patient status in order to identify each patient's
age-specific needs and provide care needed by the patient
- Provides an accurate and pertinent report of the patient's
condition for safe transfer of care.
- Demonstrates knowledge of fetal monitoring. Identifies FHR
patterns and responds appropriately.
- Maintains fetal monitoring competencies by attending two (2)
strip reviews and/or one (1) fetal monitoring conference or
- Identifies early indications of inadequate newborn transition
to extra-uterine life and responds appropriately while supporting
the family unit.
Keywords: ECHN, Springfield , Registered Nurse - Night Shift, Healthcare , Longmeadow, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...