Posted on: February 22, 2021
Do you want to be part of a team that encourages your growth,
supports your ambitions and makes it a priority for you to reach
your goals? Is helping people part of who you are? At MassMutual,
we help millions of people find financial freedom, offer financial
protection and plan for the future. We do this by building trust
with our customers by being knowledgeable problem solvers and
prioritize their needs above all else. We Live Mutual. Description
------ Responsibilities This is a role for a senior engineer that
brings experience in standard web backend architecture delivery and
management. The lead will be accountable for technical delivery,
engineering excellence and quality design for the a sub-team within
Data Integration/API Delivery Organization. Execution and
- Delivery is a critical success factor for this role. You will
need to lead two scrum teams, 4 developers in United States and 4
in Romania to ensure timely completion of assigned work
- Lead the team through technical roadblocks, contributing
technical development and design skills to the team.
- Partner with Project Manager/Scrum Master in understanding the
level of agility and adoption of delivery methodology; coaching
other team members in doing so
- Working within project planning constraints, communicating any
identified project risks and issues to the project manager
- Effectively lead the team to translate and breakdown business
and design requirements into engineering tasks, partnering closely
with the PO.
- Lead the team to build efficiencies in "developer on call"
process to support maintenance and issue remediation of the APIs:
Debugging existing software and correcting defects
- Provide technical expertise and leadership to design,
development, implementation, testing, documentation, and operation
of systems and/or applications that support Mass mutual
applications/platforms & integrations.
- Build complex system components integrating appropriate
technologies as needed (e.g. creation, processing and consumption
of Restful API endpoints)
- Lead the design of database schema, query and aggregate
- Expertise in understanding of algorithms and data structures
(core SE concepts such as sorting, inserting sort, merge sort
- Provide ongoing product support and maintenance to systems,
with proven ability to think critically and componentize issues.
Support other team members when they are stuck in debugging.
- Help others problem solve in team to resolve complex
- Analyze performance requirements & performance of current APIs
and actively remediate tech debt with those.
- Assist in production setup, monitoring and roll out to partners
Software Engineering Excellence
- Accountable for enforcing use of SE Excellence principles in
the two scrum teams being managed.--
- Writing or reviewing software system documentation and ability
to share knowledge is a must
- Produce high quality work, that can be used to guide the work
of other engineers, in order to lead by example.
- Guide the enhancements of our code libraries through code
reviews that conveys a strategic vision.
- Focused on quality of the code and guide the team to use those
principles- leveraging unit testing frameworks, reusable code
design, clear documentation, pair programming, code reviews.
- Shift Left mentality - work side by side with Software Testers
to ensure speed of delivery & quality of the final product
- Leverage unit testing frameworks, reusable code design, clear
documentation, and code reviews.
- Build mindset of building excellence - avoid developing one
person silos on the code (share knowledge)
- Contribute to the creation of content used to train other
engineers on the use and organization of our libraries and
frameworks in order to encourage reuse and consistency.
- Lead appropriate documentation, following SE principles to
ensure knowledge is transitioned. If you are building a component
or adding on to a component the readme for the project should be
updated so that any other developer could pull down the code and
leverage it. Leadership
- Mentor and guide the development efforts of other team members
(around 7 developers including the team in Romania)
- Develop collaborative partnerships with internal partners
- Presenting to leadership and stakeholders and supporting
coordination of technical decisions.--
- Onboarding new team members to ensure they are able to get up
to speed Required skills and qualifications - The qualifications
that are needed for this role:
- 8 or more years of experience with designing and implementing
- Bachelors Degree in Engineering field
- Leadership - We need a leader with team spirit and someone who
can coach others to be better.
- Quality Mindset - shift left mentality. A leader who has
experience partnering with SDETs and automation of testing,
believing in the fact that quality is accountability of the team
and not just QA.
- Critical Thinking - Open to support current APIs & guide teams
if needed when they are on call
- Agile Delivery - Comfortable with agile delivery/methodology
(grooming, story pointing, acceptance criteria, definition of
done). Lead by example of following these practices
- Experience in developing REST services using Java or
- Spring Framework knowledge and experience
- Able to implement processes and troubleshoot to continue to
improve operational stability
- Experience and understanding of Kubernete s (preferred)
- Experience with API Management Suite (Plus)
- Experience with generating technical documentation #LI-TM1 Why
Join Us. We've been around since 1851. During our history, we've
learned a few things about making sure our customers are our top
priority. In order to meet and exceed their expectations, we must
have the best people providing the best thinking, products and
services. To accomplish this, we celebrate an inclusive, vibrant
and diverse culture that encourages growth, openness and
opportunities for everyone. A career with MassMutual means you will
be part of a strong, stable and ethical business with industry
leading pay and benefits. And your voice will always be heard.
Recognized as a 2019 World's Most Ethical Company by Ethisphere,
MassMutual is guided by a single purpose: We help people secure
their future and protect the ones they love. As a company owned by
our policyowners, we are defined by mutuality and our vision to put
customers first. It's more than our company structure - it's our
way of life. We are a company of people protecting people. Our
company exists because people are willing to share risk and
resources, and rely on each other when it counts. At MassMutual, we
Live Mutual. MassMutual is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer
Minority/Female/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Individual with
Disability/Protected Veteran. We welcome all persons to apply.
Note: Veterans are welcome to apply, regardless of their discharge
status.-- Full time R8232 About Us At MassMutual, we're fostering
an inclusive and dynamic environment where our employees are valued
for who they are and can build successful careers. For us,
diversity and inclusion is more than a goal, it's the only way
forward. --- 100% rating on the Human Rights Campaign Corporate
Equality Index (2018)
--- National Association for Female Executives Top Company for
Executive Women (2018)
--- Disability Equality Index-- (DEI) Best Place to Work for
Disability inclusion (2018)
--- Working Mother Media 100 Best Company (2017)
--- Military Friendly Employer (2018)
Keywords: MassMutual, Springfield , Technical Lead, IT / Software / Systems , Springfield, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!