Company: City of Springfield
Posted on: June 9, 2021
Responsible for providing reference and resource information and
material and programs to the general public for the City
ofSpringfield's Library Department.Responsible for assisting
patrons to find and use library materials or provide referral to
other sources and other similar duties pertaining to the
Information Services department. Work is performed in accordance
with accepted practices and procedures in the field of library
sciences related to reference and resource material with
considerable latitude for the exercise of independent professional
judgment under the general direction of the Branch Manager or
Manager of Public Services who reviews work through observation,
reports and conferences. Supervision maybe exercised over other
- Provides reference and instructional services to the general
public, branches and regional libraries. Monitors performance of
the periodicals collection.Assists the Internet Services Librarian
in web maintenance.Oversees the production of bibliographic aids
and performs similar duties affecting system wide operations as
- Participates in the common work of the department including
outreach, books by mail, formal instruction, collection
development, web development and maintenance, compilation of
bibliographies and other reader advisory products, displays,
- Plans, schedules and implements bibliographic instruction and
other programs for students, special interest groups or the general
public in the use of library services and collection. Participates
in system-wide staff training program.
- Initiates and engages in special projects that analyze, design
and develop special services for various diverse audiences.
Participates individually or in work teams to make recommendations
for new initiatives or changes in service as they relate to the
overall operation of the reference desks.
- Keeps abreast of developments and technological advances in the
library field, current events, popular reading interests, and other
issues necessary to maintaining awareness of public information
needs.Conducts informal training of other personnel to increase
awareness of methods and practices.
- Performs routine tasks such a taking payments for microform
copies, counting daily cash receipts, keeping statistics, re-filing
and re-shelving ready-reference materials.
- Performs other similar duties as responsibility and necessity
dictate or requested by supervisor.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Thorough knowledge of information provision theory and
- Specialized knowledge of reading interests and developmental
stages of children and teens.
- Ability to demonstrate vision, strategic thinking,
collaboration and inclusive leadership skills, flexibility and
adaptability and a willingness to embrace and drive change.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Creative problem solving skills.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree and completion of an American Library
Association accredited Master of Library Science.
- Two or more years of experience in a library environment.
Keywords: City of Springfield, Springfield , Reference Librarian, Other , Springfield, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!