Technical Assistant III-Instructional Laboratory Technician
Company: University of Massachusetts
Posted on: June 10, 2021
About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a
nationally ranked public research university offering a full range
of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University
sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western
Massachusetts and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic
setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University
is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire
College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to
the intellectual energy of the region.
Two open positions to assist in the daily operations of the
Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (BMB) instructional laboratories
by coordinating lab activities and providing professional and
timely services to course instructors, other instructional support
staff and students.
Examples of duties:
- Perform procedures associated with bacterial culture, PCR,
cloning, gene expression, plasmid DNA isolation, protein
purification, electrophoresis, enzyme kinetics and sample prep for
various BMB laboratory courses.
- Develop methods, standard operating procedures, set-up and
testing of experimental protocols for all BMB laboratory
- Prepare, monitor and maintain stocks and reagents required for
BMB laboratory courses, arrange appropriate storage and perform
day-to-day monitoring of resources (including equipment) to ensure
upkeep in the best possible order, with up-to-date service
- Provide education and training to other instructional support
staff and students.
- Maintain inventory and procurement database, perform purchasing
and inventory maintenance and communicate with vendors.
- Maintain, troubleshoot and perform preventative maintenance on
instructional laboratory equipment, maintain safety equipment
routine testing checklist (including, but not limited to eye wash
stations, chemical satellite accumulation areas and
- Maintain literature awareness of course-related experimental
principles and techniques.
- Communicate effectively with Manager of Laboratory Instruction,
Teaching Assistants (TAs), Instructors and with colleagues in other
collaborating departments (including, but not limited to Biology
and Chemistry departments) to ensure smooth coordination of all
processes, prep and logistics of BMB laboratory courses.
- Edit electronic laboratory manuals.
- Train and functionally supervise TAs and student employees in
proper biohazard, chemical hazard, and autoclave waste disposal,
oversee student adherence to Federal and Departmental/University
environmental, safety, and chemical storage and disposal
- Access Chemical Environmental Management System database to
oversee inventory of chemicals in the BMB instructional
laboratories and request regular collection of accumulated chemical
waste by the UMass Environmental Health and Safety (EH&S)
- Assist course instructors as requested.
- Participate in meetings with course instructors and other
instructional support staff related to operational services.
- Work collaboratively and effectively to promote teamwork,
diversity, equality and inclusiveness.
- Work in partnership with colleagues within the College of
Natural Sciences (CNS) community and across the campus to support
the Dean's strategic priorities.
- Perform other duties as assigned in support of the mission and
goals of the BMB Department and CNS.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education,
Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Associates Degree plus one year of relevant work experience in
Biochemistry, Biomedical Science or other relevant basic science
subject, or Bachelors degree and zero experience at time of
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities,
Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Experience in wet lab procedures including sterile technique,
pipetting, reagent preparation, centrifugation, and other
biochemistry and molecular biology equipment operation.
- Manual dexterity and laboratory skills consistent with the work
- Initiative and drive.
- Knowledge of general laboratory and biohazard safety.
- Ability to work independently.
- Knowledge of basic molecular biology, biochemistry, and
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including effective oral and
written communication skills.
- Computer skills (E.g., Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.).
- Excellent organization, time management, and record-keeping
- Ability to prioritize, be flexible and work well with various
personalities including students, instructors and staff.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
Typical laboratory environment.
Flexibility to work weekend and/or evening hours in order to
support laboratory courses (including evening labs) is
Variable hours between Monday - Friday; 8:30am - 5:00pm most
days with a minimum of two days per week of evening lab support (as
late as 9:30pm). Some weekend hours, as needed.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Submit a letter of application, resume and contact information
for three professional references.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity
without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or
expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry,
disability, military status, or genetic information in employment,
admission to and participation in academic programs, activities,
and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or
products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst
is further committed to a program of affirmative action to
eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase
opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified
minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans.
It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable
federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal
opportunity and affirmative action.
Advertised: Apr 1 2021 Eastern Daylight Time
Keywords: University of Massachusetts, Springfield , Technical Assistant III-Instructional Laboratory Technician, Other , Amherst, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!