School Nurse/School Health Care Consultant
Company: Phoenix Charter Academy
Posted on: January 14, 2019
Job Title: School Health Care Consultant Philosophy Phoenix Charter Academy's mission is to challenge young people in our area with an academically rigorous and individually tailored curriculum. Phoenix scholars will have the support, resources and training needed to succeed academically in high school and college, and become economically secure in their future. Phoenix Charter Academy is named after a mythological figure of strength, healing and renewal. Phoenix schools challenge resilient, disconnected young people with rigorous academics and relentless supports, so they take ownership of their futures and succeed in high school, college, and as self-sufficient adults. Qualities of a Phoenix staff member:
- Unwavering Belief in Phoenix Scholars - Phoenix staff operate with the deeply held belief that all young people want to and can succeed even in the face of what can seem like insurmountable barriers and societal constraints.
- Ability to Put Scholars First - Phoenix staff go above and beyond to ensure mastery of the skills and development of positive self-identity that will ensure success for college, careers and beyond. Phoenix staff find every opportunity to engage in teaching and learning with scholars, using conflict to build supportive relationships with scholars and never taking things personally.
- Eager to Learn Under Pressure - Phoenix staff must be able to learn as they go in a fast paced, ever evolving, urgent environment. They have the desire to receive direct feedback and the ability to implement the feedback into practice quickly.
- Humility - Phoenix staff approach problem solving with curiosity and desire to understand the perspectives of others. They carry an internalized sense of "I can always learn more" from others, and know that adults at Phoenix must model the qualities of being open-minded and willing to make mistakes and learn from them.
- Experience with Low Income Communities - Staff have the proven ability to work across cultures and experience serving low-income communities and/or academically-disconnected adolescents.
- Ability to Find Inspiration In the Small Things - In the face of challenge and hard work, Phoenix staff must have the ability to find humor, inspiration, success and joy in the day to day interactions with scholars and the larger Phoenix Community.
- Personal Commitment to Cultural Proficiency and Ongoing Development - Phoenix staff are ongoing learners about diversity, equity and inclusion and seek to understand the ways that their self-identity and experiences impacts and interacts with their daily work, colleagues and scholars. Job Description: The School Health Care Consultant is tasked with promoting a healthy school environment at our three school campus sites (Chelsea, Lawrence, and Springfield), both by advocating/educating about health and safety best practices for students and staff within the school facility during the school day, and also by encouraging students and staff to maintain healthy and safe habits and behaviors outside of the school. This will require on-site and virtual support for each of our campus sites on a regular basis. The School Health Care Consultant is also responsible for identifying both actual and potential health problems within the school buildings and/or student populations, providing case management and continuing health services as needed, and communicating and collaborating with educators, school staff and administration, students, families, and local and state entities to ensure students have access to required and recommended services. Key Responsibilities:
- Provide both on-site and virtual health care support for our three school campus sites (Chelsea, Lawrence, and Springfield) on a weekly basis.
- Assess and evaluate students' health (immediate concerns, as well as pertinent family history and home factors) at each school site (when present/as needed).
- Maintain health records, document pertinent information in student records, and prepare regular reports according to the Standards of Practice for Massachusetts.
- Notify appropriate individuals (school, local, state, etc.) of immediate and potential health-related problems.
- Create care plans for students with chronic health conditions (as needed)
- Support school sites through creation of protocols for responding to frequently encountered health issues, and providing counseling and crisis intervention when required.
- Develop clear steps and procedures for medical delegation and administration of over-the-counter medications.
- Perform/facilitate state-mandated screening programs and provide appropriate referrals when necessary.
- Assume responsibilities for obtaining or facilitating in-service/training programs for school personnel for universal precautions, first aid, emergency care procedures.
- Act as a resource in health education to school personnel, students and families at our three school sites and our CMO/Network team.
- Support school staff at each site in developing health and wellness policy and practices. Qualifications:
- Possess a valid, current Massachusetts license for practice as a Registered Nurse.
- 3+ years of professional experience in school nursing or a related field preferred.
- Must be DOE certified/certifiable by the Massachusetts Department of Education in educator category, Nurse, All Levels. (DOE certification eligibility currently requires a minimum of a BSN).
- Possess a valid driver's license (must be able to travel between three school sites on a regular basis: Springfield, Chelsea, and Lawrence, MA). **It is understood that this Job Description is a summary of the primary duties and responsibilities of the position. It is not intended to be a complete and total description of each and every duty and responsibility. As such, this job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by this employee. He or she will be required to follow any other instructions and to perform any other duties requested by his or her supervisor. It is also understood that the Network retains the right to modify this Job Description at any time, for any reason, at the Network's sole discretion** We seek a diverse workforce. Phoenix Charter Academy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Phoenix Charter Academy is committed to providing equal opportunity to staff and applicants in all areas of employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status, or any other area protected by federal, state or local law. Phoenix Charter Academy is committed to making any reasonable accommodation necessary to support an individual's employment.
Keywords: Phoenix Charter Academy, Springfield , School Nurse/School Health Care Consultant, Professions , Springfield, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!